Today I want to talk about the neem plant called Dongoyaro over here in Nigeria with scientic name Azadirachta indica pretty cool ugh. It is a tropical evergreen tree native to india. The active ingredients are Azadirachtin and triterpenoids especially limonoids. Neem plants has been used for years because of the medicinal properties it has among the yorubas it is used to make concoction to treat malaria but it has other uses some of which are
1. It can be used to clear acne and dark pigmentation- boil a concoction of about 20 neem leaves in half a litre of water till the leaves are soft and discoloured and the wayter turns green. Strainand store in a bottle. Use this liquid as a skin toner by dippin a cotton-ball into it and wiping your face with it everynight
2. To control excessive oil- for people with oily skin looking for some sebum control make a paste by mixing neem powder with lemon juice and a little bit of yoghurt.
3. To treat dandruff and hair fall- boil a handful of leaves in 2 cups of water till the leaves changes colour and becomes greenish. Use this water as the last rinse after you shampoo your hair. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of neem help in getting rid of dandruff keeping your scalp healthy and hence stimulating growth.
4. Neem can be used to condition your hair-just like neem can be used to moisturize dry skin, it can also be used as a natural conditionerfor dry and frizzy hair. Just make a paste of neem leave boiled in water & honey & apply it to your hair followed by regular wash.
5. Neem oil is used in the preparation of pesticide and insecticides. In one litre of water, add liquid soap, neem oil and stir the solution. The natural oil doesn’t kill bugs likeinsecticides, but instaed repel them.
6. In the last post I talked about me using seewak for toothbrushes you can also you neem twigs to clean the teeth gotta warn you though it is a little bit bitter.
7. If you are suffering from common nail problems like splintering and peeling of nails then neem oil is the solution for you. Neem oil helkps in making your nails strong, thus preventing them from peeling or brittle. These problems might be as a result of some nail infection that you are suffering from. Neem oil will help you to gat rid of infection. Justb massage your nails and cuticles with a few drops of neem oil.
8. Consume 2-3 neem leaves mixed with some honey on an empty stomach every day and you wil see changes yourself.
9. Boil the leaves in water to make tea is a good remedy to cure malaria.
Neem ia an herb whose every part has benefits whether its fruit, the leaves, the bark or the twigs.it is one of the few natural ingredients that has so many benefits but no side effects as such. Also always try to use fresh neem leaves. Just like any other herb, neem leaves sart losing as soon as they are plucked from the tree.